When you’re just starting out, a new publisher sometimes needs help developing a road map for managing the risk involved and achieving the success he or she can envision.
We specialize in start-up and business/circulation planning to help build and transform magazine publishing organizations. We also help implement the plans we develop through circulation promotion, outsourced circulation management, or considered counsel on strategic direction. We help our client companies find and develop opportunities for growth.
Our philosophy for this kind of work is this:
- Magazines exist in community— in the space between the publisher/editor and the reader.
- Planning is often liberated, and solutions are often found, when we are able to abstract our benefits from a product orientation and consider the essence of our benefits and value to our readers.
- The best plans for launch and growth are data-driven.
- The best plans also manage risk well.
- There are elegant, creative solutions to strategic problems: solutions that “speak” to all constituents. We should strive for them.
- At the same time, solutions that cannot be implemented are less than worthless. We should maintain a practical frame of mind as we evaluate alternatives.
Here are some books and publications you may find useful:
“How to Start a Magazine (and Publish it Profitably)” by James B. Kobak, 2002, M. Evans & Co, New York, ISBN 0-87131-927-6
“The Magazine Guide” by Samir A. Husni (www.mrmagazine.com) 2006, Nautilus Press (self published call: 662-513-0159) no ISBN
“Starting and Running a Successful Newsletter or Magazine” by Cheryl Woodard, 5th Edition Published by Nolo Press, Oct 2006, ISBN: 9781413305234
And there are others. Contact us if you have specific questions that these do not address.
Folio: The Magazine of Magazine Publishing www.foliomag.com
Circulation Management www.circman.com